Creating an outdoor living space―or enhancing an existing space―does not need to be costly or complicated. It’s easier than you think! In the Summer issue of Utah Style & Design, editor Brad Mee explored several great ideas for enhancing a garden space. His story got me thinking about outdoor spaces; who wouldn’t want a fantastic outdoor space to enjoy in the summer months?
Photo and Credit: Houzz, Urrutia Design
Any outdoor space can be transformed into a thoughtfully crafted, vibrant area with the addition of these outdoor features.
1. Create a connection with food. Whether it’s a simple herb garden in a planter box, a fully equipped outdoor kitchen or something in between, your food focused outdoor space will bring people together, ultimately allowing for more enjoyment.
Photo and credit: Reynolds Gualco Architecture
2. Heat in the winter, cool in the summer. By installing an outdoor fireplace or fire pit for the winter months, and a ceiling fan for the summer months, your outdoor space will be well appointment for year-round delight.
3. Look to the water. Water features such as waterfalls, fountains or re-created creeks enhance the ambiance of an outdoor space with their calming and tranquil sounds.
Photo and credit: Houzz, Jeffrey Gordon Smith Landscape Architecture
4. A little lighting makes a big difference. Besides candles, there are many attractive and stylish decorative outdoor light fixtures―scones, pendants, hanging chandeliers―that are specifically designed, and weather proofed, for the outdoors.
5. Create a link between indoor and outdoor living areas. By enlarging an existing doorway or window connection to a retractable, bi-folding door system, you can seamlessly blend both spaces.
Photo and credit: Houzz, John Maniscalo Architecture
Michele Wheeler is the VP, Architecture + Design for Denton House Design Studio in Salt Lake City. dentonhouse.com
This post was originally published on utahstyleanddesign.com.