Fall is a great time time for travel. The weather is mild and the crowds are minimal. Whether you're planning an extended vacation or just looking to get out of Dodge for the weekend, your packing list this time of year is a happy medium between suitcases of snowgear and a duffle bag of swimwear. No matter if you escape by plane, train or automobile, these ten items should come in quite handy.
1. A comfortable top: Ditch the ragged t-shirt in exchange for something still comfortable but a little more put together like this top with flowing sleeves from Q Clothing
2. A well constructed duffle bag: If you're traveling by plane, consider a tote that will double as a carry-on for the trip and a handbag when you get where you're going. Check out this leather Clare Vivier duffle at Purse Dreams
3. A comfortable pair of flats: A pair of shoes that slips on and off easily is a must to move easily through airport security, so opt for something that still keeps your feet cozy. This pair from Dillard's looks classy while still providing comfort.
4. A cardigan: Airplanes get drafty, and fall weather can change in an instant, so keep a sweater handy. This one from Anthropologie works well to ward off a chill, but still breathes a little.
5. A maxi skirt: If you haven't yet traveled in a maxi skirt, you don't know the comfort you're missing. Maxis come in handy any time of year and can even be layered with boots and tights in cooler months. Pick one in a neutral color like this from Piperlime, and you can pair it with just about anything.
6. A scarf: Another accessory for unexpected chill, a scarf is great for layering. When you're not using it but still need it handy, it looks chic tied around the handle of your handbag. Available at H&M.
7. A reusable water bottle: Fill it with your drink of choice while avoiding contributing to landfills. This particular bottle by Lifefactory has a straw in the cap and a silicone shield to protect it from breaking.
8. Headphones: Sometimes you just need a minute to yourself, so bring along a set of headphones. They're also handy to avoid paying for the airline's set. Shown: Skull candy
9. Sunglasses: No matter what climate you'll be embarking on, your eyes still need protection. Shown: Shwood Belmont Zebrawood glasses from Bastille
10. iPad/tablet case: Protect your tablet during travel and after with a case that accomodates one of any size. Shown: French Connection iPad sleeve from Nordstrom