StyleByte:“Six Closet essentials”
Last month I tried to provide some helpful hints to assist you with your closet clean out, and this month I want to follow up with the six essentials that every closet needs. Having the right go-to pieces in a pinch are crucial. They can turn an otherwise boring outfit into a chic, sophisticated look.
1. Blazer: A great blazer is a must in your closet. You can throw it over a dress or a blouse for the office, or pair it with a skinny boyfriend jean and a white tee - and you’ll be out the door looking effortlessly glam. I would opt for navy or black with a single button as they are the most versatile and timeless.
2. White tee: There are very few things as useful and easy as a crisp white tee. They are a great canvas for showcasing jewelry or a perfect layering piece. I would choose a crew neck over a v-neck; I find them more flattering and flexible.
3. Skinny boyfriend jeans: The boyfriend jean has morphed and changed over the years and has evolved into a wonderfully flattering fit. The skinny boyfriend reduces the volume and makes them more feminine. They are still incredibly comfortable and perfect to pair with a tee and a little, or dress them up with a blazer and pump.
4. Sneakers: I love a good sneaker and finally they are on-trend. Nothing is better than a comfortable shoe when you are on your feet all day and now that there are endless options, I couldn’t be happier. Go old school with Converse kicks, or new school with a slip-on sneaker.
5. Statement necklace: To take an outfit from drab to fab, find a wonderful statement necklace and be on your way. A larger necklace can add a little jazz to a simple dress or a tee. I would choose one without much color as you are looking for a piece that you can wear again and again.
6. Little dress: A little dress (black or otherwise) that you can throw on for most occasions is a definite for your wardrobe. You’re looking for something very versatile so that you can easily take it from day to night. If you are lucky enough to find a reversible dress, snag it. I would opt for a solid color, over a pattern. Make sure the neck and hem lines are appropriate. And choose a blended fabric so that you can transition with the seasons.
Blazers: Smythe and Theory blazers
White tee: LA Made
Boyfriend Denim: Both are Rag and Bone
Sneakers: Converse and Rachel Zoe
Statement necklace: Jenny Bird and BCBGMaxAzria
Dresses: Addison and BCBGeneration
Great staples are the key to any successful closet. You need pieces that are timeless and classic so that they can be paired with more trendy, seasonal items. As always, if you have questions or need some help please come and visit us at Apt. 202. Fashion is our business and styling is our passion!
See you next month. XX Ashley
Owner, Apt. 202