It’s time to grab your blankets because summer is coming to an end but the movies are not. For years different organizations around Salt Lake Valley have made sure to keep Utahns busy throughout the summer by offering free movies in the park. This is a great opportunity to keep your kids busy throughout the longest month of the year, August. Here are our top 5 best places to catch a free flick this summer.
Free Movies in Millcreek: Venture Out!
The highlight of the nights activities will be the popular 2004 film documenting the life of a superhero family, The Incredibles. This will be a fun movie for the adults and the kids. Activities will begin at 6PM. There will be food trucks so be sure to come out, grab a bit to eat and catch an incredible movie with the family.
- Location: Big Cottonwood Park, 4300 S 1300 E
- Time: 6PM
- August 10th: The Incredibles
Marvel has been surging for the past decade with movies like Ironman, Thor, Captain America, Doctor Strange and The Avengers. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the feature movie in the park will be Black Panther.
- Location: William R. Smith Park, 300 N 100 E
- Time: 9PM
- August 3rd: Black Panther
Both movies that will be showing are hardcore throwbacks to the glory days of the movie industry. The first movie in the park will be Ghostbusters. The highly popular 1984 movie featuring Bill Murray, Dan Akroid and Harold Ramis follows three ghost detectives investigating a ghost epidemic in the city. The second movie, Footloose, will no doubt bring feelings of nostalgia. Come watch as Kevin Bacon dances his way through a city that has outlawed dancing. This will be a great opportunity to bring the family up to the mountains and get a much needed break from the heat.
- Location: Snowbird Plaza Deck
- Time: 8PM
- August 3rd: Ghostbusters
- August 10th: Footloose
- Location: Snowbasin, 3925 E Snowbasin Rd
- Time: 6PM
- July 30th: Coco
- August 6th: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- August 13th: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- August 20th: The Avengers: Infinity War
Riverton has a great lineup for their annual movies in the park. Every featured movie is a classic so make sure to bring the family out to catch come of these more notable films. Food trucks will be rolling in around 6PM.
- Location: Riverton City Park, 1452 W 12600 S
- Time: 6PM
- August 3rd: The Princess and the Frog
- August 10th: Descendants 2
- August 17th: Remember the Titans
- August 24th: A Wrinkle in Time
And if you’re a little old fashioned and like your outdoor movies in a Drive-in, check out our favorite drive-in theaters around the state.