National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: The Koekie Co. At first glance, these cookies were almost too perfect. Each one was perfectly circular and exactly the same size. That isn’t easy to do with a drop cookie. The chewier texture made clear there was oatmeal inside—a common addition, but not strictly canonical. Not everyone likes oatmeal in their chocolate chip cookie, but “It just sort of works in this one,” said Derek. The smallest of the bunch, it was the only cookie any of the judges actually finished.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Chip, 155 E. 900 South #101, SLC, 801-889-2412, chipcookies.co
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Goodly Cookies, 1329 S. 500 East, SLC, 385-743-0022, goodlycookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.