National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: Ruby Snap- Our most-nominated cookie came from Ruby Snap, which actually makes lots of kinds of chocolate chip cookies—Ricki, with coconut dough, Maris, with a caramel center. The cookie in contention was Trudy, and what the judges noticed first was the smell of cinnamon. Judge Valerie Phillips compared it to a Snickerdoodle with chips.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Cassie’s Cookies, 78 E. State Rd., Salem, 407-340-3071, cassiescookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Chip, 155 E. 900 South #101, SLC, 801-889-2412, chipcookies.co
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Goodly Cookies, 1329 S. 500 East, SLC, 385-743-0022, goodlycookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.