National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: CHIP Chip was adamant about delivering the cookies fresh so the judges could taste them warm and gooey. To true Utah taste, the cookie is very sweet. Pat liked the sweetness of the milk chocolate chips, but other judges disagreed. “I can eat a lot of cookie, but this might be too much even for me,” said Derek. Overall, the judges agreed this was the most traditional in appearance, and certainly the largest.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Goodly Cookies, 1329 S. 500 East, SLC, 385-743-0022, goodlycookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
- CLICK HERE for Ruby Snap, 770 S. 300 West, SLC, 801-834-6111, rubysnap.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.