Whew! And congrats. By stopping short on your plans to pop open that jar of pasta tomato sauce (Prego, Ragu, or 365 Whole Paycheck), I’ll walk you through a stovetop skillet cream sauce to serve up with penne that’ll
5.8 rock your world, sorry, be really delicious.
You can make this sauce vegan, vegetarian or with meat—it’s entirely up to you. As a plant-based substitute for the half and half, I’d go with organic soy milk, simply because it tolerates heat a little better than other kinds of plant-based kinds of milk and it’s creamier IMO. Nutritional Yeast is a great vegan substitute for Parmesan. Along with sausage, you could consider throwing in some other veggies into the skillet: sliced bell pepper, peas, mushrooms, cauliflower or fresh spinach.
Quick Bechamel Sauce with Sausage and Garlic
- 1 12 oz. package organic chicken or vegan sausage, sliced and quartered
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 TB. EVOO or butter
- 1 c. half and half, or milk of choice
- 1/2 c. dry white wine or reserved pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (depends)
- Cracked black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 8 oz. prepared pasta of choice (penne or farfalle work well)
- In a hot skillet, saute in EVOO or butter sliced sausage with the garlic until browned and add in other veggies.
- Lower the heat, add in wine or reserved water from the pasta.
- Stir into the skillet the milk of choice, bring to a simmer but do not boil, add in parmesan, red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- Now, pour the prepared pasta into the skillet. Let the pasta absorb some of the sauce as it thickens.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with parmesan cheese, black pepper and fresh basil/parsley.
Do you enjoy reading our posts? We hope to keep supplying them. Consider a subscription to Salt Lake magazine today.