I don’t know about you, but I’ve been craving color! My goodness, it seems like everyday I wake up to the same grey-blue winter sky and dead trees. The only thing that’s been getting me through this dreary season is the bouquet of flowers I keep at my desk. Which got me thinking- it’s absolutely the best time of year to get out of our cozy homes and check out some beautiful art! Below are some fabulous upcoming art exhibitions/events:
- Love in the Abstract: February 21, 6:00-8:00 pm (Group Exhibition runs February 4th – February 29) 801-583-4800, 1321 S. 2100 E. Salt Lake City, UT 84108.
- Art For Justice: Select Women Artists from the Agnes Gund Collection and Select Artists Associated with the Art for Justice Fund, curated by Nicole Gallo. Reception of the complete exhibition will be held on Friday, February 21. The private reception will run from 6:00-7:00 pm, with the public reception from 7:00-9:00 pm. 412 South 700 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84104, 801-355-3383.
- Open Studio/First Friday Art Stroll: The Photography Studio will be open for the evening. Landscape and other Artwork will be for sale. Event night/Walk-in single image shots available for just $25, light Refreshments served. (Every first Friday from now until December 2020) The Monarch, 455 25th Street Ogden, Utah 84401, 801-893-6604.
- Open Studio, Spiral Jetty’s 50th Birthday: Spiral Jetty (1970), the iconic Land art by Robert Smithson on Great Salt Lake, turns 50 this year! Explore the various ideas embodied by Spiral Jetty: time, entropy, color, shape, and earth using a variety of mediums. Fun for a date night, girls night, or treat yourself kind of night, Open Studio is an art-making experience meant to satisfy the creative side in all of us. 6:00–8:00 pm, this event is free. Located at the Emma Eccles Jones Education Center Classroom. Utah Museum of Fine Arts.
- ARTifacts of Sound:“ARTifacts of Sound” showcases stylish portraits of iconic musicians, bands, and singers, as well as unique instruments and inventive musical sculptures. A portion of proceeds from this art show will benefit KUAA 99.9 FM, the Utah Arts Alliance’s multi-lingual, multicultural radio station led by local radio guru Bad Brad Wheeler. Gallery stroll reception on Friday, February 21st from 6:00-9:00 pm. Urban Arts Gallery, 116 S Rio Grande St, Salt Lake City, UT 84101, 801-230-0820.