written by: Vanessa Conabee
“Pop Jenks” is woven into the fabric of Park City.
Joseph E. “Pop” Jenkins arrived to Park City in 1913 and immediately began taking photographs, fashioning his own darkroom by pulling the covers down over his rooming-house bed. After marrying Marjorie Wilkes, the daughter of a Salt Lake photographer, in 1914, Pop opened a studio at 430 Main Street, operating it throughout the 1920s and 1930s. After the Great Depression hit, they converted their studio into a confectionery and opened a sandwich and ice cream shop on Highway 248. It was during this period that Pop began recording the visual history of Park City through high-quality photographs. In 1987, Pop and Marjorie’s daughter, Thelma Uriarte, donated his photo collection to the Park City Historical Society. Locals described working with Pop Jenks as a pleasure, many recalling that his employees affectionately called Pop “grandpa.”
See more inside our 2018 Mar/Apr Issue.