Maybe you heard a little something about some basketball being played in Salt Lake this weekend. Sure. We’ve got the details on that, but it’s a busy weekend—and we know just what you should do all weekend long.
Friday, May 4, 2018
- First things first: Yes. The Utah Jazz are in the NBA Playoffs. Yes. You should watch the game. Yes. Its sold out. So yes. You should go to the bar to watch it. We think Dick ’n’ Dixies, Beer Bar, Red Rock and Fiddler’s Elbow are the best places to find that communal #takenote experience.
- Maybe sports isn’t your thing. That’s all right. Maybe comic books are your thing. Lucky you, Friday is Free Comic Book Day. Stop by Black Cat Comics and other area comic book stores to grab your free graphic swag.
Saturday, May 5, 2018
- Its Open Streets Salt Lake—the one day a year that downtown Salt Lake turns into a people-walking-in-the-middle-of-the-damn-street spring wonderland. Brings your skates, bikes (or rent one from GREENBike, which is having a special $1 rate for the occasion) or your two feet to this celebration of Salt Lake City.
- Cinco de Mayo. It’s tough guys. Don’t wear hats. Don’t get drunk on tequila. Don’t be a cultural appropriator. Those things don’t celebrate Mexican culture, but good Mexican food does! Alamexo and Alamexo Cantina have Cinco de Mayo specials all day.
- You know what holiday does encourage hat-wearing and drunkeness? The Kentucky Derby. That’s right. It’s the first Saturday in May again, as always. Put on your hat and join me, native-Kentuckian, for the best two minutes in sports at Undercurrent. Celebrations will also be happening at High West Distillery in Park City. Or, The RUIN in Sugarhouse is doing both with a Cinco de Derby party. Take it from me. Choose a team—tequila or bourbon. And stick with it. You and your liver will thank me later.
- Also, the new Salt Lake music venue The Commonwealth Room is having a soft opening. Free music. No word on if hats are encouraged there but we’ve got their upcoming concert line up here.
Sunday, May 6, 2018
- Ok. that’s one weekend with a lot of drinking. Dry out and get some vitamin D at the Bee’s game on Sunday afternoon. You know, one beer probably wouldn’t hurt, hair of the dog and all…
This week’s podcast is sponsored by Lake Effect. Recently named Utah’s best new craft cocktail bar and Utah’s best bar staff, Lake Effect is a unique down town dining experience and incredible ambient night life bar open 7 days a week from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. and weekend bruch. Lake Effect also provides an amazing space for private events of all sizes, visit lakeeffectslc.com.