Next Tuesday is Pioneer Day. Face it: You’re not really working this week anyway. And, while we’re on the subject, you should probably take next Monday off. So, how about a staycation with some fun Salt Lake activities to fill your time, eh?
- Donny and Marie She’s a little bit country, he’s a little bit rock ‘n’ roll and together, they’re Utah’s favorite lounge act. The siblings are taking a break from their residency at the Flamingo in Vegas to perform a hometown show (Well, Sandy’s pretty close to Provo, anyway). sandyamp.com
- Bambara + Wasatch Brewery Pairing It’s a five-course meal from Bambara paired with five local beers from Wasatch. Yum. Call Bambara to reserve your spot at (801) 363-5454.
- Retrofutura Everything old is new again, but Belinda Carlisle doesn’t look old to me. Anyway, it’s her, Modern English, Bow Wow Wow and others taking the stage at Red Butte on Friday night. Salt Lake mag has previewed the show in more detail here. And as a rare bonus, there are some tickets still available for this Red Butte show. redbuttegarden.org
- James McMurtry You want bluegrass-tinged country or heavy guitar riffs? He can do that. You want deadpan humor from the stage? You got it. You want a protest song? He’s got you covered.The Texas singer-songwriter is the closest thing we have to Townes Van Zandt these days. thecommonwealthroom.com
- Sutton Foster with Utah Symphony EGOT-tracked Broadway star Sutton Foster will be performing with the Utah Symphony at Deer Valley. Foster has starred in 11 Broadway shows including Tony-winning roles in Anything Goes and Thoroughly Modern Millie. Foster is also a star of the TV Land comedy series Younger. Expect standards with theatrical flair. deervalleymusicfestival.org
Through the Weekend
- Church and State Local filmmaker Holly Tuckett’s documentary about Utah’s role in the lawsuits leading to nationwide marriage equality is showing for one week only at Salt Lake Film Society’s Broadway Theater. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll be thankful for Judge Shelby all over again. slfs.org
Wasatch Wild Flower Festival
- Ladies and gentleman, we have reached peak wildflower in the mountains. This weekend, enjoy the flora and fauna up Big Cottonwood Canyon, and next weekend, head up Little Cottonwood. Each weekend will have guided hikes, live music and activities and food at resorts. cottonwoodcanyons.org