On Our Terms, a series of empowering and educational discussions for theYWCA, will be held on July 27, August 3 and August 10 at the Salt Lake Masonic Temple. Proceeds from the On Our Terms series will go to create a scholarship for self-defense training for residents of the SLC YWCA, an organization designed to eliminate racism and empower women.
The series is designed to discuss rape culture and offer empowerment to women in a safe environment.
A press release from the event states: “The On Our Terms series will explore some of the most pressing issues facing interpersonal dynamics in modern culture, and what we can do to protect and uphold ourselves using the strength of our self-awareness, the clarity of our words, and the power our minds first and foremost—with practical self-defense techniques thrown in for good measure.”
Schedule & Presenters:
- Wednesday, July 27, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- Chelsea Kilpack – The Power of Consent: Modeling Enthusiastic Consent Every Day
- Marty Liccardo – Bystander Intervention
- Wednesday, August 3, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- Nubia Pena – Redefining Power / Boundary Setting
- Shannon Cox – “Rape to Prison Pipeline,” the Utah Story
- Wednesday, August 10, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- DeAnn Tilton – Start by Believing & Victim Blaming
- Chelsea Kilpack & Miyo Strong – Self Defense
The Salt Lake Masonic Temple is located at 650 E. South Temple.
Tickets start at $15 and can be purchased at onourterms.eventbrite.com