WORK FOR SALT LAKE MAGAZINE
Salt Lake magazine is looking for a detail-oriented art director with a great eye, excellent type design skills and the ability to capture the reader's attention through engaging layout and design. Serious candidates will have a good knowledge of Salt Lake City and Utah, will have worked on and managed multifaceted design projects, possess the technical skills to create a wide range of elements across consumer and custom publications and will be fluent in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
This position requires someone who is organized and self-directed, capable of conceiving and carrying projects through from inception to the final layout and is an energetic team player. Candidates must live in the Salt Lake area or be willing to relocate.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio to Salt Lake magazine Director of Operations, Damon Shorter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Create and maintain brand and publication identity and design for JES Publishing titles, including Salt Lake magazine, Utah Style & Design, Utah Bride & Groom and various custom publications
• Work closely with editors to create and oversee the overall look of the magazines, making each vibrant, fresh and smart for our sophisticated readers
• Collaborate on story and issue concepts with art team and editors of individual magazines
• Design layouts, graphics, illustrations and provide art direction across all titles
• Create consistent flow of editorial content and identity for each magazine's authentic and authoritative voice
• Direct staff and freelance photographers on photographic needs for each issue; manage art interns and freelancers as needed
• Work with editors to identify art needs for each story and acquire the necessary outside and provided art for each issue
• Coordinate all the photos, illustrations and graphics that appear in the issue
• Photo editing /manipulation and color correction
• Make sure the magazines overall brand, including its website and other digital products, has a consistent visual presentation
• Maintain project schedules, timelines and deadlines within art and editorial departments to meet production deadlines
• Concept, creative direct and produce collateral and brand direction for special events as well as special sections or magazine inserts
• Foster community relationships representing the magazines
• Prepare final files for printer
• Assist with website and e-mail campaign design and ad design as needed
• Update and maintain photo and file archives
• Contribute to social media feeds for all magazines and brands
• Direct and manage in-studio photo shoots, both with still product and model shoots
• Stay abreast of new technology and innovations to improve workflow and products
BFA or BA in graphic design, art or similar field of study
At least 6 years of editorial design experience at a consumer magazine; experience as the art director or the deputy (No. 2) art director preferred
Ability to manage intern and freelance designers and motivate them to do their best work
Ability to work well with editors in conceiving stories that work well visually
Experience creating compelling covers, layouts, charts and diagrams
Strong knowledge of and contacts among illustrators and photographers
A strong creative vision and ability to produce high-energy, high-impact work on a budget
Proven ability to juggle multiple priorities, plan ahead and meet deadlines
Knowledge of Mac-based InDesign, InCopy, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator
Some digital design experience preferred
*Application instructions and required materials:
Email Resume to email@example.com.
No calls please!
Marketing Account Executive
Please send a complete resume and a cover letter detailing your career objective and three personal characteristics enabling you to shine at sales. Also include a list of three references who are able to speak to your professional capabilities, potential, and experience.
This is a writing and research intensive internship, and our interns work between 2-4 days a week and write weekly stories for the web as well as contribute to the print issue. Interns will assist editors with research, story prep and other projects critical to publishing a bimonthly magazine. Interns may also occasionally be asked to assist with projects for sister magazines Utah Bride & Groom and Utah Style & Design.
The ideal candidate is a journalism or english major and will be able to receive school credit. Please contact Jaime Winston (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and reference "Salt Lake magazine editorial internship" in the subject line of your email. We will send an application form which should be returned to Jaime via email, along with a current resume and a writing sample.
Same as above except art and graphic design based. Interns work directly with the art director and the assistant art director.
The ideal candidate is an art or graphic design major and will be able to receive school credit. Please contact Jaime Winston (email@example.com) for more information and reference "Salt Lake magazine art internship" in the subject line of your email. We will send an application form, which should be returned to Jaime via email, along with a current resume and portfolio.
Salt Lake magazine has intern positions for PR & Marketing. This is a 2 day a week internship which includes set up, planning, and implementation of events for all three magazines. Also includes writing for ad copy and marketing efforts for the magazines including contests and giveaways.
The ideal candidate is a communications or marketing major and will be able to receive school credit. Please contact Jaime Winston (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and reference "Salt Lake magazine marketing internship" in the subject line of your email. We will send an application form, which should be returned to Amanda via email, along with a current resume and a writing sample or portfolio.
All applications for Summer 2015 semester are due April 15, 2015.
Interested in joining our team? email: email@example.com