National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: Buds Our judges were perplexed by the cookie from Buds. It crumbled very easily and Val detected green flecks as well as chips throughout, which the judges determined to be zucchini. “It’s compensating for something,” said Stuart. “There must be something missing or they wouldn’t put a vegetable in it.” Turns out it was vegan. Most agreed the cookie tasted good, it just didn’t quite measure up to the other cookies.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Chip, 155 E. 900 South #101, SLC, 801-889-2412, chipcookies.co
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Goodly Cookies, 1329 S. 500 East, SLC, 385-743-0022, goodlycookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.