National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: The Goodly Cookies The aroma arrived first, as it should. “This one smells like a homemade chocolate chip cookie,” said Pat. Can there be too much of a good thing? Our judges thought so. “This cookie is intimidating,” said Val. Stuart’s only comment was to drop the cookie on the plate where it landed with a loud clunk. Problem: “It’s so thick it’s undercooked, and doughy,” said Val. Some judges did not have a problem eating cookie dough, of course. “But we’re judging cookies, not cookie dough,” said Lydia.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Chip, 155 E. 900 South #101, SLC, 801-889-2412, chipcookies.co
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Ruby Snap, 770 S. 300 West, SLC, 801-834-6111, rubysnap.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.