National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was observed on Aug. 4, but that’s not why Salt Lake magazine decided to hold a best chocolate chip cookie contest. Like most magazine articles, this one started with a trend. Chocolate chip cookies, especially fresh-baked ones, are a definite trend. Of course, they’re more a mainstay than a trend in sweet-toothed Utah—Debbie Fields’ ubiquitous cookies were headquartered in Park City until she sold the company. We asked Salt Lake magazine readers (that’s you) to send in their favorite bakeries and spots for great cookies and assembled a team of judges to sample the top suggested cookies.
Reader nominee: Cassie’s Cookies. The first thing the judges noted was the icing glaze drizzled over the top of the cookie. Derek pointed out, “You’d certainly expect that for a lemon or other cookie, but not chocolate chip.” The judges liked the gratuitous garnish and appreciated the mix of milk and semisweet chocolate chips as well as the texture of this cookie.
Other nominees are (were)… Follow the links to find out what the judges thought and discover Utah’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- CLICK HERE for Rose Establishment, 235 S. 400 West, SLC, 801-990-6270, theroseestb.com
- CLICK HERE for Süss Cookie Co., Midway, 801-508-4548, susscookieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Chip, 155 E. 900 South #101, SLC, 801-889-2412, chipcookies.co
- CLICK HERE for The Koekie Co., Millcreek, 801-831-3803, thekoekieco.com
- CLICK HERE for Goodly Cookies, 1329 S. 500 East, SLC, 385-743-0022, goodlycookies.com
- CLICK HERE for Buds, 509 E. 300 South, SLC, budsslc.com
- CLICK HERE for Ruby Snap, 770 S. 300 West, SLC, 801-834-6111, rubysnap.com
And enjoy all our food and drink coverage here.